Sunday, April 3, 2011

After the wind and before the rain/snow

In training for the half marathon I do one long run a week.  The only day that works for me is Sunday because every other day Kevin is working and I have no one to watch the kids.  Yes, I could technically go to the gym and do 9 or 10 miles on the treadmill, but blahhhhhhhhhhhh!  I just can't do it!  Running that long goes so much faster when you do it outside.  So far I have been pretty lucky with the weather because really at this time of year you don't know if it will be beautiful or a blizzard.  But today was the first day I thought the weather might keep me on the couch.

Horrible winds started to blow the night before and kept going into the early morning hours.  The news reported that some gusts were up to 90 miles an hour.  I really did not want to be running in that.  I continued to watch the weather report to find out when the winds would stop.  They would stop but then it would start to rain and snow in the late morning.  That meant a short window of time to get my butt out there!

I changed, laced up, filled up and drove to Platte Canyon.  I was planning to do 9 or 9.5 miles and I needed to get running before the clouds rolled in.

I did stay ahead of the weather. . .just barely.  Was it a good run?  Well they can't all be good runs right?  All in all I did about 10 miles (because of a detour to the McDonald's restroom) and ended up walking a bit of it because I wasn't feeling so hot (yes, related to the detour).  Oh well, I still put the miles in and now I know that if I have to stop during the race I will be able to start running again.  I wish it had been a better run but at least I was able to do it.  Next week is 10 miles and I am hoping I will be completely better!

No comments:

Post a Comment