Saturday, December 10, 2011

I'll show you mine if you show me yours (OR The Awkward Photo Contest)

I have a confession to make: I am addicted to Awkward Family Photos.  They crack me up...maybe more than they should.  Whenever I see them come up on AOL's homepage I have to click on them.  I have to.  It is a compulsion and I'd seek help for it, but as far as vices go, this is a pretty harmless one.  There are so many funny choices, but the these three make a strong case for the most spectacular:
I obviously lack maturity.  When my mom reads this I am sure she will pat herself on the back for raising such a classy lady.
It makes me laugh and creeps me out at the same time!
That kid's face is PRICELESS!

So when I read the comments from my mall bangs post I could not stop laughing just thinking about some of the looks you guys admitted to sporting.  Stirrup pants, poodle butt bangs, the MacGyver mullet,  Miss Zippy as Madonna.  Oh man, I had to see these photos!  And thus, the Awkward Photo contest was born!!!

Entering is easy (as long as you don't mind humiliation).  Just email me (katieanneschmidt@aol.com) your "best" look, a description of what is going on in the picture, and your blog address (so I can link it). On December 19th I will post all the pictures and let the public decide the winner...or would it be loser!  Finally random.org will not decide your fate!  Your bad fashion decisions of yesteryear will do that for you!

Why enter??  
  • To gain fame with all 60 of my followers (I know you can't turn that down!)
  • Because it is a lot of fun!! 
  • And if that is not enough, prizes are REI giftcards.  First place is $10!  Second and third place are $10, too (Yeah, I get that they are all the same amount).  Sorry, that's all I could get because, let's face it, I'm like a D list blogger.  No REI close by??  First off, my condolences.  Second, they have great online selections!
How to earn yourself some extra votes (I can be bribed!!).  You get an extra vote for each of the following: you follow my blog, you advertise in some way (twitter, Facebook, your blog, church bulletin...I don't care.)  Just let me know in a comment if you did any of those things.

So search your albums or shoe boxes, call up mom, and send me those pictures!!  I am not entering so I will leave you with a few of my stellar looks through out the years:

Look, little Katie with a jheri curl!  I was obsessed with Annie so my mom gave me an "Annie" perm. 




Ah, the spiral perm.   And look Rachel, I had my bangs permed too.  I guess I had forgotten (or blocked that from my memory)!

I think that this one might be the worst.  This was obviously before I leaned that running was good for me and bangs were bad for me.  My parents still have this up in their house and when we visit my husband mocks it relentlessly. (Like he has room to talk.  He wore a purple and turquoise suit for his senior picture....true story.)  He calls us the Double Mint Family.  The worst thing?  Right after this was taken my parents made us go out to lunch....in public.  Everyone was staring at the weirdo family wearing exactly the same outfit.  It was humiliating!

I showed you mine, now you show me yours!  Contest end December 18th and I will post them on December 19th.  Go ahead and enter because you need to laugh at yourself....and more importantly, we need to laugh at you too!