Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Injury Report


I have been waiting for this moment.  I knew when I bought my bike shoes that at some point it was going to happen.  Frankly, I am surprised it took this long.  But today it happened.  I fell while clipped into my bike.  Ouch!!

I went out for a 10ish mile bike ride this morning.  It was only my second bike ride of the year.  Since I am doing a triathlon on Sunday I thought I had better get on my bike a few more times this week.  The first half on the ride was fine.  I am a lot slower than I would like to be, but still not horrible (especially considering my total lack of miles for the year).  I stopped at the point where I needed to turn around, took a drink, and then took a spill.  I have no idea what happened.  I had one foot clipped in and one foot out, I lost my balance I guess, and toppled over on the foot that was clipped in.  It was almost in slow mo.  As I was falling I was thinking three things:  1) this is going to hurt 2) what am I going to break 3) this is really embarrassing.  The good news was no one saw me and I was relatively unharmed.  The bad news was my bike took the brunt on the trauma.  =(  My poor bike.  The shifter/break was tweaked at an angle (but still working) and there was some cosmetic damage.  My grip was trashed (easy fix) and there were scratches on the metal.  But the shifter was worrying me.

I made it home and called Kevin to tell him the inevitable had finally happened.  He was very relieved that I wasn't calling from the ER.  When he got home he fixed up the bike and now the two of us are ready to get on the road again.

It is kind of a relief that I got my first fall out of the way.  I am also relieved that the bike and I got by relatively unscathed.  Next time I stop maybe I will just unclip both feet!

No comments:

Post a Comment