Thursday, February 16, 2012

Runner vs. I run

For a long time I couldn't call myself a runner.  I would say, "I run," but not "I'm a runner."  I don't know why really, but I guess I imagined a runner was way more hardcore than I was.  A runner had completed marathonS.  A runner was a professional.  A runner didn't jiggle so much.  You know, stuff like that.  I finally decided to change the way I thought and I started to call myself a runner, jiggle and all. 

So what's the difference?  Is there a difference?  How can you tell if you are a "runner" or if you fall into the category of "I run."  Here are a few things I have observed:


Shoes:


I run
Runner





Vacations:

I run
Runner
First thing you think of when you hear Bart Yasso:
Runner
I run









First thing you think of when you hear "lube"
Runner
I run



The place your GPS goes:
I run
Runner
First thing you think of when you hear "Negative Splits:"

Runner
I run
 Thing you do immediately after you say fartlek:

I run
Runner
That was for you Tricia ;)

Designer Clothing:

I run
Runner
Easy Day:

I run
Runner


Smoothie:

Runner
I run



Thing you describe as cute:

I run


Runner



First thing you think of when you hear "The Dreadmill:"


Runner

I run








Jewelry:
I run
Runner



How many miles in a marathon?
Runner
I run


I'm of course just joking, but I do think there is a difference between someone who runs and someone who is a runner.  I don't think it has anything to do with how fast or far you run, but rather your attitude about running.  If you love it, if it energizes you, if it is something you look forward to doing, I think you are a runner.  If it is something you have to make yourself do, put off doing, make excuses not to do, or dread, you just run.  I am proud to say that even though I don't drink spinach smoothies, that I am a runner! 

Are you a runner or do you just run?


Have any other differences you'd like to add to the list?  I'd love to hear yours!!!!