Monday, May 9, 2011

I spy the finish line

 



 So I got my do over and today was my last long run!  It was 9.3 miles, with hills, and I averaged 9 minute miles (well 9:02 minutes miles if we are going to get persnickety).  It was a lot shorter than I wanted to run but I am figuring the hills made up for the lack of miles, right?  Well, maybe not but I had time constraints because, you know, the husband had to get to work and Mason had to get to preschool!  Ah, the life of a running mom!

I am so close to the end I can taste it!  Since I started my "official" training on Feb. 21st I have run 198 miles.  I've had good runs, bad run, and emergency stops.  I braved rain, snow, wind, heat, treadmills, sick kids, sick me, exhaustion, and exhilaration!  It has been a long journey and I can say without a doubt that I am a better runner for it.  I have gotten so much out of it that I almost don't need to show up for the race. . .almost.  I want that finisher medal!!


So was today a better run than yesterday?  All I can say is- what a difference 30 degrees makes!  I headed out at 6:40am and it was an awesome 60 degrees.  Perfect running weather!

The first loop felt great and effortless.  The hills on the second loop were a little tougher (and slower) but still good.  During the final lap around the neighborhood I was beginning to feel a little fatigued but I felt like I could still go if I needed to.  I would feel better about Sunday if I had done 12 miles, but I didn't, so it will just have to do.

The tapering begins now and this weeks workouts will be light and include a lot of swimming.  Time to build up those glycogen stores and make sure I have fresh legs for race day.  Now the most important question. . .is it too early to start carb loading??  =)

1 comment:

  1. I hate you, you do realize that, right? Lol...I'm not sure I can say, "Seriously impressed" enough :)

    ReplyDelete