Friday, April 29, 2011

4 the hard way


I firmly believe that all physical activities rely not only on your level of fitness but also on your mental state of mind.  Countless studies have shown the effects of positive thinking on athletes.  If you think you can do it you are more likely to do it.  That is why I chant "I love running!" not "I want to die!" at the end of my long runs.  Because even though I am pretty sure I am going to die, if I believe I am enjoying it than it is more likely I will finish strong.  And this usually works. . . usually.

Today was the exception.  I am going to say it was a combo of tired legs and a serious case of the blahs!  The blahs started at 5 this morning when my two year old started yelling, "Mommy, I wake up!  Come and get me!  I want Chocolate Milk!  I want Diego!  I want Explorer!"  (There are good and bad things about having an early talker.)  And the blahs continued when I took a peek at my training schedule and realized I needed to run 5 miles today.  Yeesh my legs were still feeling the 10.8 from the other day.  Going to the gym sounded good, but to sit in the hot tub not torture my weary legs on the treadmill.  I just didn't wanna.  But I did it anyway.

And I just should have taken a break.  I should have listened to my legs not the schedule because I ran a miserable, pathetic 4 miles.  My head was not in the game and if my head isn't in the game I will never last 5 miles on a treadmill.  Outside maybe, inside no.  I struggled and panted.  I tried going faster, slower.  Nothing worked and so I called it a mile early.

I left the gym feeling a bit defeated.  But these things happen (as my sister Kacey says).  Some runs are great, some are not so great.  This one was not so great, therefore, I will listen to my protesting limbs and take tomorrow off.  Rest well my friends because my head will be in the game next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment