Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Healthy(ish) Strawberry Muffins





Einstein's bagels has an oh so yummy strawberry white chocolate muffin.  I discovered it when I was pregnant with Mason and I remember it was the first solid food I ate after my C-section with him.  But this very delicious muffin is very, very not good for you.  500 calories!!!! 22 grams of fat!!!  Horrible!!  No wonder I gained 60 pounds when I was pregnant with him!  So of course I don't eat them anymore!  But I do love strawberries and muffins so I was so delighted when one day I came across this recipe for strawberry muffins made with yogurt.  Each muffin only had 160 calories, 5 grams of fat, and they taste really good too!  You use half whole wheat flour (I am sure you could even use all whole wheat).  This ups the whole grains and fiber. You also use plain yogurt which cuts the fat and ups the protein (if you use Greek yogurt like me then you add even more protein).



The kids love making them and eating them too!  Kevin likes them as well, especially when I made them slightly less healthy by adding white chocolate chips.  Yes, yes not as healthy but still not even close to 500 calories.  And of course we made them more fun by using the dinosaur muffin pan Mason got from his Aunt Kristy and Uncle Grant.  So if you like muffins but don't like the calorie count try this recipe out!



No comments:

Post a Comment