Friday, April 15, 2011

Into Double Digits




I have been slacking in the update department but I wanted to write about my last long run because it was such a mile stone for me.  I hit double digits!!  Woop Woop!!!  It was my first 10 mile run and it was success!

I had to run Monday afternoon because for the first time there was bad weather on Sunday.  I woke up that morning to very gusty winds.  I decided not to go, then I decided to go, then I walked outside and decided not to go, then I guilted myself into the car to go, then as I watch the flags standing stiff in the wind and a few small animals fly by I decided to call it and spend the morning with the fam.  Good choice.  I could do a quick 3 miles in the wind but not 10 miles.  So, Monday after Kevin got home from work it would be.

I did my run on the Mary Carter trail.  I love this run.  It is beautiful and easy to map out.  Plus I think I have mentioned this before but it is flat and flat is good!  I was armed with my ipod, water, gatorade, and Sharkies.  What the heck are sharkies you say.  Well they are an alternative to GU.  GU is great if you like vomit but I don't so I have been searching for an alternative.  I tried Jelly Belly Sport Beans.  They were better but still a bit on the sickeningly sweet side.  So I gave these Sharkies a try.  Pros: much better tasting (like my kids' fruit snacks).  Cons: they kinda get stuck in your teeth.  Just don't let them get hot or you will have flash backs to the gummy bear scene of Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

The run was great!  The weather was beautiful and I was feeling good about being able to complete this daunting task.  My mind was constantly racing.  How is my pacing?  Posture?  How are my feet landing?  Are my arms loose enough?  And then around mile 3 I melted into the path and I was in the zone.

My favorite part of my long runs is the moment I realize that I am going to finish.  At the half way point (Belleview and Sante Fe) I was feeling good.  When I passed by Hudson Gardens I thought I had it.  When I reached Aspen Grove I KNEW I had it!  I click clacked over the bridge with a huge smile on my face.  I was going to do!  I was going to do 10 miles (it was actually 10.12).

I drove home exhausted and exhilarated all at the same time.  Who would have ever thought that I could do this?  It is amazing what you can do when you put your mind and body to it.  So now the big question is, do I go further??  I have 4 more long runs before race day.  Do I go for 11 or 12??

No comments:

Post a Comment