Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Baking Soda + Vinegar = Fun

I am a horrible cook so my children eat at Chick Fil A more than they probably should.  But like I said I am a horrible cook and I definitely don't know the first thing about cooking meat (since I don't eat it).  Recently in the kid's meals we so often get, they have been giving away books with different science topics and each book has an activity in it.  Mason and Kevin made a snow flake from one of the books and today we made a volcano.  Mason has been looking forward to this for quite some time and I purposely saved it for yearly check up day.  I told him if he did a good job at the doctor and was brave for his shot then we would get the supplies and volcano it up. He did a great job so we got to do the project (gotta. love bribery).



The design was wrapping clay around a plastic cup, filling that plastic cup with baking soda, and then pouring vinegar (dyed red) into the cup.  Basic acid/base reaction, but always a hit.  Come on who doesn't love to watch something bubble over?!  It was even more exciting for a 4 year old.  I took a video of the reaction (eruption) so Mason could keep reliving the glory.  I would post that too but it is sideways and I can't figure out how to fix it!  Overall a fun little project for the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment