Wednesday, August 17, 2011

A goal and a plan

I have mentioned before that my daughter loves Dora the Explorer.  What two year old girl doesn't love Dora, right?  As much as it makes me want to stick a fork in my eye, I have to say I have learned two things from Dora: a) remedial Spanish and b) in order to be successful you need a map to tell you where you are going and how you are going to get there.  Basically, you need a goal and a plan.

This morning as I found myself saying, "Swiper no swiping," I realized that I need to nail down my goal and start following the appropriate training plan.  So I have decided that I am going to focus on the 1/2 marathon.  I might still throw the tri into the mix but I will not be "training" for it.  I feel good about this decision and I am hoping, just hoping, that I can get fast enough to run the 1/2 in under 2 hours.

Now that I have my goal I need to start following a training plan.  I have to admit I have kinda been winging it.  It isn't that I don't like training plans, it is just that I was training for two different events at the same time and it was hard to lay out a plan.  I became overwhelmed and decided to just stick to tri training until that race was finished.  I admit this was mostly because I was legitimately afraid I was going to drown (turns out I wasn't that far off).  I decided to jump onto week 5 of an intermediate (whoa, I am not a novice anymore!) training plan.

So now I have a goal and a plan!  Dora, I think you would be proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment